SlyPlane

Legendary Member
Dec 18, 2013
IGN
SlyPlane
Faction
6Void
Votes
Also, to take the focus away from f top, have community awards for the factions as well as for players. Some ideas for awards to give out:
- Most beautiful base
- Best defended base/faction
- Best raiding faction
- Best trap base
- Best PvP faction
- Most active faction
- Most friendly faction
- Best small faction (1-5 players)
- Best medium faction (6-15 players)
- Best large faction (16+)
- Best faction overall (who knows, it might not be the large faction)
- Best moneymaking faction

I personally think that f top is overrated and the focus on JUST f top makes the gamemode much worse. These awards allow subjective things to be quantified much better than tokens did IMO. I think the community and chat as a whole has become much more toxic than it was in the golden days of gontroller pre-6.0. These awards make community perception actually worth something and being nice to new people actually allows you to win something.

Everyone is way too focused on making money and thereby the f top faction isn't necessarilly the best faction, but at most the best raiding/moneymaking faction. This would allow factions who don't know how to 250 one-shot or dont spend countless hours grinding money to "win" the map. F top would become a metric to determine the best moneymaking faction. These awards incentivise people to make creative structures in their base, to focus on being friendly etc.

The winning factions (should they continue in the next map), would get a tag after winning when looking up /f who. The players in the winning factions would have it so when hovering over the nametag you see what they won.

Each faction would get a prize as well. I don't really like the paypal prizes, so maybe items specific to award won.
- Beautiful base winner players would get a prot 5 unbreaking 5 set of armour and a chest full of building materials and a disguise
- Defended base would get obsidian gen buckets and /invisible command (*Has a cooldown timer. Maybe 15 mins invisible and 15 min cooldown)
- Raiding faction would get a creeper spawner each and p5u5 armour
- Trap base faction would get a 2x2 claim directly north of spawn
- PvP faction each player gets a sharp 6 sword and a set of prot 5 u5 armour
- Active faction would get cash as it's pretty easy to win this
- Friendly would all get ingame tags like [Friend]
- Each of the best factions would get buycraft coupons and each would get a corner claim
- F top would still get the normal paypal and/or buycraft coupons so it still matters

Parted

Staff
Admin
Mar 6, 2019
IGN
Parted
Faction
MoneyMission
I personally think that f top is overrated and the focus on JUST f top makes the gamemode much worse. These awards allow subjective things to be quantified much better than tokens did IMO. I think the community and chat as a whole has become much more toxic than it was in the golden days of gontroller pre-6.0. These awards make community perception actually worth something and being nice to new people actually allows you to win something.
On Vaelox, we took some of the focus away from f top by a system of faction achievements, which is a thing we will carry over to Gontroller. For example, harvest x cane, complete the barrows x times, reach $x value on f top, etc.

Everyone is way too focused on making money and thereby the f top faction isn't necessarilly the best faction, but at most the best raiding/moneymaking faction. This would allow factions who don't know how to 250 one-shot or dont spend countless hours grinding money to "win" the map. F top would become a metric to determine the best moneymaking faction. These awards incentivise people to make creative structures in their base, to focus on being friendly etc.
Pretty much anyone nowadays can easily print in a 255 with schematica so I wouldn't say that there are a lot of factions who can't. I do like this idea though so I'm sure that @THExMist and @SereneSteel can incorporate some of these into the events schedule.

The winning factions (should they continue in the next map), would get a tag after winning when looking up /f who. The players in the winning factions would have it so when hovering over the nametag you see what they won.
Sounds good to me.

Reactions: SlyPlane

1092CQ

Cake
Staff
Admin
Dec 23, 2012
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
IGN
1092CQ
Faction
HouseofLegends
Votes
The awards were great, I love the idea of them but we could never find a way to really implement them again that wasn't heavily abused. The second time we ran them they were incredibly skewed with people trying to buy others to vote for them even after we disallowed it and it became ultimately a popularity contest rather than any accurate judge of what each award was intended for, so after the second awards a lot of people were pretty annoyed with it overall which is why it wasn't done again.

We would also have the same issue(s) with the faction categories you suggest, who would decide on them? What I like in base design others may not. How do we judge the best raiding faction? Number of raids completed? Complexity of raids? Success of the raid? Even if we were to have it limited to higher staff voting to remove people trying to fix the votes, it would always still have some level of bias even if unintentional. :(

I would love to see them return, but I'm not sure how we could prevent people fixing the votes :(

SlyPlane

Legendary Member
Dec 18, 2013
IGN
SlyPlane
Faction
6Void
Votes
The awards were great, I love the idea of them but we could never find a way to really implement them again that wasn't heavily abused. The second time we ran them they were incredibly skewed with people trying to buy others to vote for them even after we disallowed it and it became ultimately a popularity contest rather than any accurate judge of what each award was intended for, so after the second awards a lot of people were pretty annoyed with it overall which is why it wasn't done again.

We would also have the same issue(s) with the faction categories you suggest, who would decide on them? What I like in base design others may not. How do we judge the best raiding faction? Number of raids completed? Complexity of raids? Success of the raid? Even if we were to have it limited to higher staff voting to remove people trying to fix the votes, it would always still have some level of bias even if unintentional. :(

I would love to see them return, but I'm not sure how we could prevent people fixing the votes :(
You're probably right that too many would try and abuse this, would be great otherwise. :(