Staff
Helper+
Oct 1, 2013
IGN
Misunderstood
Faction
Wilderness
Votes
Hello. I'm aware that this is not mine craft related but I just need some help with python. I can't seem to install a certain module. I'm trying to install the pyenchant module via pip on my macbook. It says in the terminal that the module is installed but it won't work when I import in in a python shell. This is what comes up. :

>>> import enchant

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in <module>
import enchant
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/enchant/__init__.py", line 92, in <module>
from enchant import _enchant as _e
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/enchant/_enchant.py", line 143, in <module>
raise ImportError(msg)
ImportError: The 'enchant' C library was not found. Please install it via your OS package manager, or use a pre-built binary wheel from PyPI.

I know the module is installed but I'm not sure what the error is. It would be quite nice if somebody could help me.

fazor99

Staff
Helper+
Oct 1, 2013
IGN
Misunderstood
Faction
Wilderness
Votes

towers52

Pro Member
Jun 21, 2013
IGN
towers52
Faction
raw
Votes
Please install it via your OS package manager, or use a pre-built binary wheel from PyPI.

NotPikachu

Jun 9, 2015
IGN
zhi
Faction
Votes
Hello. I'm aware that this is not mine craft related but I just need some help with python. I can't seem to install a certain module. I'm trying to install the pyenchant module via pip on my macbook. It says in the terminal that the module is installed but it won't work when I import in in a python shell. This is what comes up. :

>>> import enchant

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in <module>
import enchant
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/enchant/__init__.py", line 92, in <module>
from enchant import _enchant as _e
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/enchant/_enchant.py", line 143, in <module>
raise ImportError(msg)
ImportError: The 'enchant' C library was not found. Please install it via your OS package manager, or use a pre-built binary wheel from PyPI.

I know the module is installed but I'm not sure what the error is. It would be quite nice if somebody could help me.
Can't even lie pyenchant looks so aids.
EDIT: You need the enchant lib first. Welcome
http://www.abisource.com/projects/enchant/
EDIT EDIT: You can get it easier by running brew install enchant(requires brew from brew.sh)

Vithu

Pro Member
Apr 14, 2013
London
IGN
Optic_Vithu
Faction
Frost
Votes
man don't care about all that

~~DAT SWEATER WAS HERE~~

because someone reported this as "useless." Now go forth into the world and be useful!

~~ CARL WAS HERE JUST SAYING HI TO DAT~

Last edited by a moderator:

gir99

Jan 13, 2013
If you are trying to install on 64 bit i don't think its going to work
only runs on Unix, MacOS, BeOS, QNX, Win32. You can try getting the source and dropping it in manually idk but you can just google the problem its pretty common.

Edit guy above solved lol

Last edited:

Sparks

Oct 12, 2014
IGN
Hoeinator
Faction
FEMINAZIZZZZZZZ
Votes
If you are trying to install on 64 bit i don't think its going to work
only runs on Unix, MacOS, BeOS, QNX, Win32. You can try getting the source and dropping it in manually idk but you can just google the problem its pretty common.
yes, only 32 bit easily resoveriable

10CPS

Legendary Member
Jul 14, 2014
IGN
10CPS
Faction
Wilderness
Votes
What r u talking about