Factions No short map lengths

Ledo_5678

Oct 11, 2013
If a map is a month long like I see some of these weird op faction servers then what's the point in playing / rebuilding if you're going to have to re-do everything in a couple of weeks. If you got raided and destroyed back in map 3 or 5 and you found out there was 3 weeks till the map reset you wouldn't even rebuild, you'd have a sigh of relief. Now some servers are making that the entire map time, forcing factions to be more like a mini game where it's a quickly build up (grace period) (almost all mini games, bed wars, annihilation have this) then of now "FIGHT" and less of a plugin on vanilla minecraft.

Parted

Staff
Admin
Mar 6, 2019
IGN
Parted
Faction
MoneyMission
If a map is a month long like I see some of these weird op faction servers then what's the point in playing / rebuilding if you're going to have to re-do everything in a couple of weeks. If you got raided and destroyed back in map 3 or 5 and you found out there was 3 weeks till the map reset you wouldn't even rebuild, you'd have a sigh of relief. Now some servers are making that the entire map time, forcing factions to be more like a mini game where it's a quickly build up (grace period) (almost all mini games, bed wars, annihilation have this) then of now "FIGHT" and less of a plugin on vanilla minecraft.
The map is most likely going to be just a little longer than a month. How long would you like to see maps? You are also assuming that factions will want to rebuild after being raided, very rarely will factions do this.

From HEEVES
Map length is still up for discussion. Nothing has been decided.
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Ledo_5678

Oct 11, 2013
The map is most likely going to be just a little longer than a month. How long would you like to see maps? You are also assuming that factions will want to rebuild after being raided, very rarely will factions do this.
This is literally my point. No one rebuilds because why rebuild when the server resets in 2 weeks...When did people rebuild? Back when maps were much longer.

Parted

Staff
Admin
Mar 6, 2019
IGN
Parted
Faction
MoneyMission
This is literally my point. No one rebuilds because why rebuild when the server resets in 2 weeks...When did people rebuild? Back when maps were much longer.
How long do you think maps should be?

g33builder

Staff
Jan 2, 2014
IGN
g33builder
Faction
Wilderness
Votes
Something like 3 months. I mean ideally to me personally I would prefer even longer than that but I'm not sure if other players would want that. I just know that with a longer map what you do means something because it's not going to just get reset in 2 weeks.
So its completely impossible that the reason why people quit could be because they would rather start fresh than continue an up hill battle?

Ledo_5678

Oct 11, 2013
So its completely impossible that the reason why people quit could be because they would rather start fresh than continue an up hill battle?
Name me the people who quit in map 3-5 after getting raided. Map 3 (I think that was the longest map). People who quit after being raided in map 3 Verse the people who were raided map 3 and continued? Huge majority continued. Nowadays people quit. Back when the map length was longer people played. Wasn't this new revamped gontroller supposed to identify all the problems and break the mold? Yet you guys plan on doing the same thing and failing yet again. It amazes me at how completely oblivious gontroller has been for the entirety of their existence.

Edit: Oh and btw all of factions is an up hill battle. It's called competition. Unless you're ftop 1, factions is an uphill battle but in particular if you don't have a full faction full of people it is an uphill battle. I don't know about you but for me I've been in rwc and I've also ran DBM. Technically DBM was facing an up hill battle because we did not have a full 20 man faction back then. Yet we were never raided in this uphill battle(and there were attempts almost daily) and we began it as an "uphill" battle. Why continue an uphill battle you ask but continuing is even easier than starting. Not doing things simply because it is "hard" or an "uphill" battle? Simply do better, be better and put more effort in instead of complaining. Just because you would give up with 4 months left in the map because you lost 8 creeper spawners doesn't mean other people would.

Last edited:

1092CQ

Cake
Staff
Admin
Dec 23, 2012
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
IGN
1092CQ
Faction
HouseofLegends
Votes
Name me the people who quit in map 3-5 after getting raided. Map 3 (I think that was the longest map). People who quit after being raided in map 3 Verse the people who were raided map 3 and continued? Huge majority continued. Nowadays people quit. Back when the map length was longer people played.
This is true, but map length is not the only Factor in what has changed. Peoples knowledge in and experience with the game itself has changed significantly over the years changing how people play. Not to mention the ease of competition elsewhere.

I personally much prefer longer maps, but I also know that if I was to return actively playing I would have significantly less time to dedicate to the game compared to 3.0 (Not to mention, in 3.0 base designs and cannon knowledge was hugely different). From my general observations factions these days are also significantly more proud than they used to, many Factions would rather leave or move servers than admit that they were raided or beaten by another Faction. (This has been observed on multiple servers in recent years), back in 3.0 there were very few competing servers with the player quality that Gontroller players looked for giving people greater incentive to rebuild, that is no longer the case. We are looking at various ways to retain players long term and reviewing the methods we added to Vaelox to see what sort of impact that had (Primarily in ease of base building and recovering, removing overclaiming..etc).

Additionally, on Gontroller map end dates were never planned in advance. They were decided based on the server itself and when things started to die down and "felt" right and on servers maps became shorter because maps died out faster and players moved on elsewhere. Also most players today are used to and prefer knowing a set date on when things will end and a goal to work towards so we have to try and consider an approximation of when to go forward with things. Ending a map too soon would kill the momentum yet dragging it on too long after its already died out is just as problematic. It's a difficult balance to try and find.

Gontroller was also very unique in that we have had an incredibly loyal and skilled playerbase who, even after all these years return to share their memories and experiences on the server, however much of the Factions playerbase today is loyal to their Faction and the competition rather than the server or those running it.

Wasn't this new revamped gontroller supposed to identify all the problems and break the mold? Yet you guys plan on doing the same thing and failing yet again.
Of course we're looking to identify problems which is why we've been actively taking feedback from the community and those who are looking to play (Including your opinions here), but simply returning to what Gontroller used to be 4+ years ago would not do that because the playerbase has changed. People are older (although in many cases not necessarily grown up), many have moved on from the game entirely and the way people play the game and what they expect from the game has evolved along side their knowledge and intricate understanding of the more complex Minecraft mechanics.

Adapting to and incorporating new changes within the Factions community, whilst exploring some new additions of our own and hoping to both bring Factions forward and retaining the feel that old Gontroller had, is a difficult task but one that all members of the staff team are eager to try and achieve but the only way to do that is through a collaboration between the staff team and the community. We certainly don't know everything, so tell us all that you think we've done wrong and why.

I would be interested to hear from you, what your experiences within Factions post-Gontroller have been. Have you played much at all? If so, which servers and what did they do right / wrong? And if not, what turned you away from playing and how could that be changed?

swiftdart5

Legendary Member
Feb 4, 2013
IGN
swiftdart5
Faction
Raw
Votes
This is true, but map length is not the only Factor in what has changed. Peoples knowledge in and experience with the game itself has changed significantly over the years changing how people play. Not to mention the ease of competition elsewhere.

I personally much prefer longer maps, but I also know that if I was to return actively playing I would have significantly less time to dedicate to the game compared to 3.0 (Not to mention, in 3.0 base designs and cannon knowledge was hugely different). From my general observations factions these days are also significantly more proud than they used to, many Factions would rather leave or move servers than admit that they were raided or beaten by another Faction. (This has been observed on multiple servers in recent years), back in 3.0 there were very few competing servers with the player quality that Gontroller players looked for giving people greater incentive to rebuild, that is no longer the case. We are looking at various ways to retain players long term and reviewing the methods we added to Vaelox to see what sort of impact that had (Primarily in ease of base building and recovering, removing overclaiming..etc).

Additionally, on Gontroller map end dates were never planned in advance. They were decided based on the server itself and when things started to die down and "felt" right and on servers maps became shorter because maps died out faster and players moved on elsewhere. Also most players today are used to and prefer knowing a set date on when things will end and a goal to work towards so we have to try and consider an approximation of when to go forward with things. Ending a map too soon would kill the momentum yet dragging it on too long after its already died out is just as problematic. It's a difficult balance to try and find.

Gontroller was also very unique in that we have had an incredibly loyal and skilled playerbase who, even after all these years return to share their memories and experiences on the server, however much of the Factions playerbase today is loyal to their Faction and the competition rather than the server or those running it.

Of course we're looking to identify problems which is why we've been actively taking feedback from the community and those who are looking to play (Including your opinions here), but simply returning to what Gontroller used to be 4+ years ago would not do that because the playerbase has changed. People are older (although in many cases not necessarily grown up), many have moved on from the game entirely and the way people play the game and what they expect from the game has evolved along side their knowledge and intricate understanding of the more complex Minecraft mechanics.

Adapting to and incorporating new changes within the Factions community, whilst exploring some new additions of our own and hoping to both bring Factions forward and retaining the feel that old Gontroller had, is a difficult task but one that all members of the staff team are eager to try and achieve but the only way to do that is through a collaboration between the staff team and the community. We certainly don't know everything, so tell us all that you think we've done wrong and why.

I would be interested to hear from you, what your experiences within Factions post-Gontroller have been. Have you played much at all? If so, which servers and what did they do right / wrong? And if not, what turned you away from playing and how could that be changed?
step1. build a new staff team that actually has an interest in making the game enjoyable (like u).. instead of staff members that get a fuzzy feeling inside that they have the ability to mute and ban.. (eg.. barneyHD flaming players as an administrator, g33 a sarcastic troll, thexmist a creep, and imaBasket a criminal)

pretty clear the direction the server is heading, and it hasn't even reopened yet

1092CQ

Cake
Staff
Admin
Dec 23, 2012
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
IGN
1092CQ
Faction
HouseofLegends
Votes
step1. build a new staff team that actually has an interest in making the game enjoyable (like u).. instead of staff members that get a fuzzy feeling inside that they have the ability to mute and ban.. (eg.. barneyHD flaming players as an administrator, g33 a sarcastic troll, thexmist a creep, and imaBasket a criminal)

pretty clear the direction the server is heading, and it hasn't even reopened yet
I may not always agree with the choices made or the way things are approached but I cannot fault the worth ethic from most of the staff team and their want to make a great, enjoyable server.

If being a flaming, creepy, sarcastic troll is an issue then I fit all those categories. :rolleyes:

Substance

Mar 14, 2014
2 months would be ideal. Atleast 2 months... if the server is gonna reset after a month im not playing. Also, please do not add protection 5 or any of that gay crap i see other servers doing.. lol or sharp 7 swords

swiftdart5

Legendary Member
Feb 4, 2013
IGN
swiftdart5
Faction
Raw
Votes
I may not always agree with the choices made or the way things are approached but I cannot fault the worth ethic from most of the staff team and their want to make a great, enjoyable server.

If being a flaming, creepy, sarcastic troll is an issue then I fit all those categories. :rolleyes:
Then you must step down honorably

Parted

Staff
Admin
Mar 6, 2019
IGN
Parted
Faction
MoneyMission
2 months would be ideal. Atleast 2 months... if the server is gonna reset after a month im not playing. Also, please do not add protection 5 or any of that gay crap i see other servers doing.. lol or sharp 7 swords
We aren't adding anything above prot 4 in donor kits. Enchants higher than vanilla will be exclusive to legendary items.

Substance

Mar 14, 2014
Why not just keep the server reset until it starts to die down.. lol theres your answer to when you should reset it. Not a month in your gonna have factions just getting there bases done and your gonna reset it? Doesn’t make sense. But if you guys honestly need a time limit set it at 3 months.

Sane

Apr 4, 2019
IGN
SaneSpirit
I mean, an uphill battle towards what end goal? F top? . Isnt that part of the issue thats been going on with servers these past few years? I think a server, especially this revamped Gontroller, should have enough depth as a server to not only want to play for f top. Also, incredibly short maps contribute to quitting because "why do anything when we can wait 2 weeks?".

Servers became a minigame of who can amass the most "wealth" in a short period of time and who can place more spawners right before the reward deadline ends. Its like this weird, twisted version of what a faction server is. Thats why Gontroller coming back now is so huge, it has a chance to be this "bridge" of the way servers are run.

gir99

Jan 13, 2013

I dislike the staff on vaelox but id probably rather have slightly toxic staff that do their job than ones that dont even play. But so many random girls (and suck up dudes) would join the server and just become staff right away and they tend to not play and be total crap at factions granted some were good but many not.

Anyways i like the staff thus far for gt so i cant complain serene steel and parted are good and g33 has gotten better.

I'm just saying this because you asked me in another thread why i didnt like vaelox staff. I can see why its difficult but no one really complains about you or serene or heeves being staff because you guys already helped and were real players before becoming staff.

Infiniti

Jul 5, 2015
IGN
Infinxtii
Faction
Asylum
Votes
Yeah I do agree. I've always hated the idea of having really short maps, and I can't imagine higher staff can possibly be very motivated to put so much hard work into a server when it's only going to be around for a month? I much preferred when servers used to have at least 4 month maps, but I do understand the way people play has evolved quite a lot and so i'd be happy to settle for a 2 - 3 month map.

In response to the point that factions quit when they're raided once, yeah that's true, and yeah if that happens then having longer maps is going to mean that a longer proportion of the map is dead, but how is shortening the entire map going to solve the problem? Effort should be made to find other ways to balance the map so that factions don't quit, the map shouldn't just be shortened out of fear that people quit after being raided once.

Also, to the point that every other server has 1 month maps for a reason, isn't the whole thing that people are looking forward to is playing Gontroller because it's Gontroller? People want the same, good, nostalgic experience that they had when they played years ago, so copying all the new servers won't do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kachow