Factions Personal opinion on Factions' current state

colink2011

Feb 21, 2013
Starting off, I'd like to say that I am glad to see that Gontroller is having a resurrection because, as we all know, it died.

This resurrection, however, just bring new aspects to the game without being too drastically different from what we as a community view as "factions." A server can only be so unique before it begins to become too confusing for new faction players and/or players from other servers. That being said, a few key problems must be addressed such as Raiding/Defending, Server Economic Growth Stabilization, and finally creating an environment welcoming to smaller factions.

RAIDING/DEFENDING:
As someone who has experienced factions throughout its development (even before hybrids were even a concept), there had always been a certain balance with raiding. Raiding was always considered a difficult event that led to a drastic impact on the raided faction. These raids, however, were always significant events that took long amounts of time, strategy, and effort. This view, however, has dwindled as cannons have evolved and broke these 3 components of raiding to nearly nothing. Time? Now with ~1 auto 255s, raiding takes little of that. Strategy? With cannons exposed to the general public, people can simply take a schematic and reprint a cannon every time it blows up until they get into the base with no recollection of why the cannons are made the way they are and simply just load the cannon and press the button. Effort? Closely related to the points of strategy, there is no effort truly put into raiding anymore. Large factions can sit on surplus' of tnt with no need to worry about cannon efficiencies or cost. Any large faction can easily have 200+ double chests full of tnt at their disposal. There is no effort needed into grinding supplies for raids once the map has picked up.

These problems lead to the skew in raiding/defending. Raiding has become significantly easier than defending in today's factions, which was not the case back in OG Gontroller. In the long run, we also do not want players to simply be able to mine their spawners every time someone attempts a raid on them. So here are a few potential changes that I believe might help in terms of Raiding/Defending.

Changes:

TNT Damage Delay: When a piece of tnt explodes, it will create invulnerability for the surrounding blocks for a short period of time.
This is to help walls from being destroyed every ~1-2 sec due to automatic cannons though it would need revisions due to tnt being used for mining in some cases

Spawner Placement/Destruction Cooldown: When a spawner is placed, it has a 12 (Could be changed) hour cooldown period in which it will not spawn mobs. When a spawner is destroyed, it is converted into a deactivated spawner for 4 hours before it may finally be mined and brought into the inventory. Spawners may be blown up from tnt that came from outside of the residing chunk it was placed in if it came from another faction's land.
This is to help people from mining spawners due to being raided which was once attempted to be fixed by charging money, this, however, was only impactful towards smaller factions that could not afford to mine spawners. An impact on a faction's income is more detrimental than hurting their player balance.

Now when looking at Economic Growth, Factions' economies nowadays are now exponentially growing. Simply put, Large factions are staying large and small factions cant catch/raid them fast enough.

Changes:

Decaying spawn rates after spawner threshold: Simply put, once you reach a specified amount of unique spawners in your faction's land, each additional spawner will have a smaller and smaller spawn rate until adding any more spawners of that type will no longer have an effect on the grinder's income for the faction. Essentially when viewing the grinder, the value proposition of adding more spawners to make 1000+ spawner grinders would be economically ineffective and they would have to turn to different sources of income. This is to help from large factions being able to quickly recover after being raided and to prevent large factions that donate outstanding amounts of $$$ at the beginning of the map to have a large lead on the exponential curve that we see in economies of modern day factions.

Keeping the small factions in the game...
While I had today's concept that everyone gets a trophy mindset, we can not leave small factions out to dry.
Events on servers are heavily favored for larger factions to take over and control (Koth, Loot Drops, Outpost)

Changes:

Create events that are not worth the large factions' time to capture. Such as limiting the number of items that can be sold at an outpost event. This would make high volume sellers, IE Large Factions, deterred from spending the time and supplies to sell goods. This is a concept that stems from basic economics. If a company can sell a product at a higher rate with high supply then it will exponentially grow.

Create events with more utility based purposes such as raiding/building supplies to promote raiding of larger factions from smaller factions with fewer resources and help smaller factions fortify their bases.

Hosts events that are specified for factions on a specific value tier: S,A,B,C,D,E. Top 3 factions being S tier for example and move on down the list based off of faction value. One might see this as a "weightclass" in wrestling/boxing. Give the factions a chance to compete against factions of comparable sizes.

Anyways, not all of my ideas/concepts were described above but these are just a few that I thought might be able to help the staff structure their ideas off of. Hope to see you guys at release! Thanks for coming to my TED Talk. Feel free to give feedback and construction criticism!

g33builder

Staff
Jan 2, 2014
IGN
g33builder
Faction
Wilderness
Votes
Starting off, I'd like to say that I am glad to see that Gontroller is having a resurrection because, as we all know, it died.

This resurrection, however, just bring new aspects to the game without being too drastically different from what we as a community view as "factions." A server can only be so unique before it begins to become too confusing for new faction players and/or players from other servers. That being said, a few key problems must be addressed such as Raiding/Defending, Server Economic Growth Stabilization, and finally creating an environment welcoming to smaller factions.

RAIDING/DEFENDING:
As someone who has experienced factions throughout its development (even before hybrids were even a concept), there had always been a certain balance with raiding. Raiding was always considered a difficult event that led to a drastic impact on the raided faction. These raids, however, were always significant events that took long amounts of time, strategy, and effort. This view, however, has dwindled as cannons have evolved and broke these 3 components of raiding to nearly nothing. Time? Now with ~1 auto 255s, raiding takes little of that. Strategy? With cannons exposed to the general public, people can simply take a schematic and reprint a cannon every time it blows up until they get into the base with no recollection of why the cannons are made the way they are and simply just load the cannon and press the button. Effort? Closely related to the points of strategy, there is no effort truly put into raiding anymore. Large factions can sit on surplus' of tnt with no need to worry about cannon efficiencies or cost. Any large faction can easily have 200+ double chests full of tnt at their disposal. There is no effort needed into grinding supplies for raids once the map has picked up.

These problems lead to the skew in raiding/defending. Raiding has become significantly easier than defending in today's factions, which was not the case back in OG Gontroller. In the long run, we also do not want players to simply be able to mine their spawners every time someone attempts a raid on them. So here are a few potential changes that I believe might help in terms of Raiding/Defending.

Changes:

TNT Damage Delay: When a piece of tnt explodes, it will create invulnerability for the surrounding blocks for a short period of time.
This is to help walls from being destroyed every ~1-2 sec due to automatic cannons though it would need revisions due to tnt being used for mining in some cases

Spawner Placement/Destruction Cooldown: When a spawner is placed, it has a 12 (Could be changed) hour cooldown period in which it will not spawn mobs. When a spawner is destroyed, it is converted into a deactivated spawner for 4 hours before it may finally be mined and brought into the inventory. Spawners may be blown up from tnt that came from outside of the residing chunk it was placed in if it came from another faction's land.
This is to help people from mining spawners due to being raided which was once attempted to be fixed by charging money, this, however, was only impactful towards smaller factions that could not afford to mine spawners. An impact on a faction's income is more detrimental than hurting their player balance.

Now when looking at Economic Growth, Factions' economies nowadays are now exponentially growing. Simply put, Large factions are staying large and small factions cant catch/raid them fast enough.

Changes:

Decaying spawn rates after spawner threshold: Simply put, once you reach a specified amount of unique spawners in your faction's land, each additional spawner will have a smaller and smaller spawn rate until adding any more spawners of that type will no longer have an effect on the grinder's income for the faction. Essentially when viewing the grinder, the value proposition of adding more spawners to make 1000+ spawner grinders would be economically ineffective and they would have to turn to different sources of income. This is to help from large factions being able to quickly recover after being raided and to prevent large factions that donate outstanding amounts of $$$ at the beginning of the map to have a large lead on the exponential curve that we see in economies of modern day factions.

Keeping the small factions in the game...
While I had today's concept that everyone gets a trophy mindset, we can not leave small factions out to dry.
Events on servers are heavily favored for larger factions to take over and control (Koth, Loot Drops, Outpost)

Changes:

Create events that are not worth the large factions' time to capture. Such as limiting the number of items that can be sold at an outpost event. This would make high volume sellers, IE Large Factions, deterred from spending the time and supplies to sell goods. This is a concept that stems from basic economics. If a company can sell a product at a higher rate with high supply then it will exponentially grow.

Create events with more utility based purposes such as raiding/building supplies to promote raiding of larger factions from smaller factions with fewer resources and help smaller factions fortify their bases.

Hosts events that are specified for factions on a specific value tier: S,A,B,C,D,E. Top 3 factions being S tier for example and move on down the list based off of faction value. One might see this as a "weightclass" in wrestling/boxing. Give the factions a chance to compete against factions of comparable sizes.

Anyways, not all of my ideas/concepts were described above but these are just a few that I thought might be able to help the staff structure their ideas off of. Hope to see you guys at release! Thanks for coming to my TED Talk. Feel free to give feedback and construction criticism!

Trust me when I say we have created many ways to slow down raiding and we will make sure through play testing that raiding is fair.